Thanksgiving is this weekend (In Canada) and this is an amazing recipe to make for larger crowds!
Here is a little secret, I am a lover of apples and of caramel. This recipe combines them both, and is a huge hit! I actually had forgotten about it until I was recently looking through my binder with clipped recipes!
It is tres tres bon!
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 6 cups of cold milk
- 3 packages of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice
- 1 jar of caramel sauce
- 1.5 cups of chopped pecans
- 2 cans of apple pie filling
- 2 tubs of thawed whip cream
- Prepare the yellow cake, according to the directions on the box, in 2 9″ pans. Set aside
- Take the 3 packages of vanilla pudding, milk and apple pie spice and whisk until set.
- In your trifle bowl (or large bowl, punch bowl etc) place 1 of the 9″ cakes in the bottom. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick or fork.
- Pour 1/3 of the caramel sauce over the cake.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the pecans.
- Spread with 1/2 of the pudding mix.
- Spoon one can of pie filling over top of the pudding.
- Spread with 1 tub of whip cream.
- Repeat all the steps 3-8.
- Drizzle the second layer of whip cream with remaining caramel and sprinkle remaining pecans.
- Refrigerate until serving.
**NOTE:** Ok, so this makes a HUGE trifle! It makes 42 servings of 3/4 cup! In the past, I have cut the recipe in half and still had plenty of trifle to go around! So feel free to alter the recipe accordingly ; )